I took this photo on Christmas day. We enjoyed some rare December sunshine in Portland, and I was loving the way the light looked streaming through the windows.
What I’m not loving is the way the sunlight manages to highlight every speck of dust in the house. Just days ago, all the dust was invisible thanks to the winter clouds, but now it’s on full display. So I’ve been dusting, to say the least.
Since I have this week off from work every year, I try to use the opportunity to get caught up with some final chores before the new year. This time around is no exception. I have quite the list of tasks to accomplish over the next seven days. We’ll see how many of them get checked off, and how many roll over into January. I need to:
- Update our budget spreadsheet for 2010. Some of our “fixed” expenses are going up slightly, such as our property taxes and monthly HOA fee. I need to move some numbers around and make sure we’re still putting money towards our goals at the same pace we are now.
- Paint our dining room. This is kind of a biggie. Not only will it cost me around $80 for two gallons of no-VOC (better for your lungs) paint, this task will also eat up at least one full day. You may recall I’ve been debating over what color gray paint to use. I’ve decided to try Silver Fox by Benjamin Moore. Pictures and progress reports to come, of course.
- Call our dog’s veterinarian and set up his annual appointment. He needs his “well pet” visit and at least one vaccine.
- Laundry. I’ve let my special-care laundry pile up. Mostly stuff I have to wash in cold water and hang to dry. I also have a pile of hand washing, ironing, and dry cleaning to take care of. Blah.
- Filing. Another blah. I have a huge stack of papers that need to be filed. I am a major procrastinator about dealing with piles of paper.
- Wash the car and vacuum the interior. It’s been far too long. Yuck. Hopefully the Mr. will help.
- Put away the Christmas stuff. Actually, I’ve already stated putting some stuff away, but the tree is still up and I’d like to have that down before I go back to work next week.
- Plan some guest posts with the Mr. He’s going to write a post or two for this blog. Stay tuned…
What’s on your to-do list this week? Or are you putting everything off till 2010?