My husband and I have been making these tasty vegetarian treats since we were in college. The recipe is from this little cook book we must have picked up in line at a grocery store once.
These are quick and easy, and fairly frugal as well. If you’re looking for an easy meatless meal give these a try. Here are the ingredients:
1 15oz can cannellini beans (or any type really, I just used white beans)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup bread crumbs (seasoned or plain, doesn’t matter)
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
half of a small tomato, chopped
2 Tbsp finely chopped celery (about 1 stalk)
2 Tbsp finely chopped bell pepper (about 1/4 pepper)
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion (about 1/4 small onion)
And here are the steps. (Scroll down for pictures.)
1. Drain and rinse the beans and mash in a medium bowl. I used a pastry blender, but you might be able to use a food processor.
2. Add the lemon juice and egg and blend well. Add the bread crumbs, cheese, garlic salt, and hot pepper sauce. Stir to blend.
3. Finally, chop and add the veggies.
4. Make four patties. I divided the mixture into four, rolled the mix into balls, and then flattened them a bit to form the patties.
5. We cooked ours in a little olive oil on a non-stick pan. Heat the pan and oil up a bit first.
6. Cook until a little bit brown, then flip them over. I think they cooked for a total of around 10 minutes.
7. I like mine with a dollop of Greek yogurt. The Mr. puts salsa on his.
They go great with a green salad and a glass of red wine.